Pazhayarai... Vadathali
  • I am aware of a renovation work in PAZHAYARI VINNAGARAM - (no...not Nandhipuram.. ) this is also known as RETTAI ANJANEYAR KOIL...

I am not aware of the temple renovtion you are talking about.

will check.

Incidentally PAZHARAI @ PATTEESWARAM - THENU PUREESWARAR - is the Main Temple worshipped by the Royal chozhas...

There is PAZHARAYA VADATHALI - which was found closed and covered under the Jain influence during Appar @ Navikkarasar period and was subsequently opened and put on worship by the local chieftan (Mutharayas ?).. say during 7th AD.. or so.

This Pazhayarai Vadathalai was under renovation a couple of years back.. I think this is the temple under discussion.

Let me get more details and revert within a week or so.

Thanks for all the members showing interst,.

regards / sps
  • The one we discussing about is the somanathaswami temple of pazhayarai.... this could be the vadametrali pobably..... the renovation is not happening fast coz of insufficiant funds...
  • > There is PAZHARAYA VADATHALI - which was found closed and covered
    > under the Jain influence during Appar @ Navikkarasar period and was > subsequently opened and put on worship by the local chieftan
    > (Mutharayas ?)..

Dear sps

Thanks for reminding about this wonderful temple. It is of Madak koil varierty if I remember correct.

It is in this premises THAT APPAR DEMONSTRATED THE VERY FIRST KNOWN SATHYAGRAHA IN HISTORY, later to be taken up widely by Gandhiji.

The local king was a chola - Pazhayarai continued to remain as a chola pocket in spite of all the changes all over Tamilnadu.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters