didn't like Balakumaran's way of writing a work of "historical fiction". I
    don't like to read about "evil spirits" etc taking an active role in works
    of historical fiction. If I have to read about spirits and demons etc I can
    read works of fantasy like Lord of the Rings or Harry potter or David
    Eddings' works etc. The first part had all these weird happenings which I
    couldn't really connect with. Give me Kalki anyday.. I must say I haven't
    liked Sandilyan either.. Kalki is still up there with the best though (why
    with the best.. I will go ahead and say it.. I think Kalki's works of
    historical fiction are better than Alexandre Dumas' works).
  • Dear Arun
    I tend to agree with you on udayar It feels like a social drama in a historic setting a bit of drag...I was puzzled how I missed a novel abour RRC and now found out it was written after I left India...

One fundamental problem I had was changing Kalkis charectors Like sembian Madevi as a witch like lady greiving RR's ascend to throne and so on....I havent finished it ...I will persevere...

Interestingly I started Udayar and Vengaiyin Mainthan by akilan....It took me some time to read the first two chpaters in U becauwse the authors tendency was mixed I had a feeling I was still in 2005 reading a book Where as you switch to VM you were transported to Kodumbalur 1000 years ago with Ilango etal...No wonder Akilan got the Sahitya Academy award for this....He doesnt distort any of Kalkis charectors

Unlike Vikraman nad Balakumaran....

As far as asa Sandilyan You have to read his masterpieces like Yavana rani Kadal Pura Rajaperigai and Kanni madam
  • Dear Sridhar,

I have read both Kadal pura and Kanni Maadam... They were ok IMHO. Nothing
    very great.. There wasn't the epic feel to these novels that there was to PS
    or SS. Again these are all IMHO. Views are subjective etc :)

Haven;t read Vikraman's Vengaiyin Mainthan. Will try and read that.
  • Dear Arun,

"Nandhipurathu Naayagi" somwhere simlar one to PS - by Mr. Vikraman.
    "Vengaiyin Mainthan". not by Vikaraman. That one written by Mr.
    Akilan.

When we take Mr. Sandilyan - in 100 page story you can find 50 pages
    are about the character appearnce. Tamizhla sollanumnna - "Varnanai"
  • Thanks Ramanath. I think my problem with Sandilyan is also in his style of
    writing. His sentences are LONG and meandering and one can sometimes come to
    the end of a sentence and have already forgotten how it began :) This is of
    course a matter of personal taste.
  • Dear Arun
    I would agree with you regarding the spirits and soonyams....But I am persisting in reading I have completed Nandhipurathu Nayagi so I will complete this one as well.....
    Just a few serious points which i would raise in what I have raed so far and I dont know how it was missed inspite of big ardent chola historians as his advisors including SPS...

1.If I am correct Anbil Bramaraayar was the Chief Minister durng Sundara Chozhars time...Here he states Krishnan Raman...( Scenes where Sembiyan madhevi Challenges Sundara Cholar)

2.Adhitha Karikalan was killed in Kadamboor which was Sambuvarayar Palace ...while describing his death...(the circumstances dont do justice to a great soldier) he goes from kadambur to kodumbalur mentioning only in kodumbalur will the security be so lax...etc

3. Arulmozhi battan was not a prince yet when he visits the thalicheri girls and they are sarcastic with him...he thinks vandhirupathu arasakula ilaingan enru therinthum....

4. I dont know if karuvurar was there when Sundara was the king

5. I dont know if caste and social oppression was so much during those days because he claims the fourth varna will rebel in chera nadu

6. Though he claims in his foreword Udayar is not a Community name He mentions that later in stating Rajarajee pirappal mannarai pol Udaiyaar inathai sarnthaval pin thevaradiyal aga mariviavar

7.He seems to have wanted to force the names learnt from meikeerthi when he makes karuvurar question panchavan madhevi about the officers and she goes on with their name and alais etc thats very artifcial...

8.This is the first historic novel in which a non royal blood calls prince and princes by name and singularly...In PS even Anbil and Periya pazhuvettarayar will adrress kundavai and vanathi as ilavarasi or thaye or devi...not by first name or nee vaa poo...here Bramarayar seems to do that to Arunmozhi and Rajendran.....Seems odd....Kings are usually called Arase etc not Manna....

Ilavarasan Rajendran or Ilavarasar Rajendrirar should be the right syntax....mannar rajarajar or mannan rajarajan....it cant be mannan rajarajar or Ilavarasan Rajendrar.....The mariyathai panmai is confused...

9.He seems to be going back and forth from Vanavan Madhevi and Thirubhuvana madhevi as pattamaghishi

Apart from that the style is taxing for every two words there is a vanthargal ,senrargal ,irunthana ,vanthana ,......If Sandiyal was complex with long sentences here its taxing to read three word sentences it was like reading a fifth standard student writing tamil......eg veetukku vellai adithirunthragal.vasali sanam thelithirunthargal.mavile kolam pottirunthargal.Poosani poo vaithirunthargal.Mavilai thoranam katti irunthargal...

This could easily be wriiten as Veetukku vellai adithu,mavilai thoranam katti,vasalil sanamthelithu mavele kolam pottu poosani poo vaithirunthargal ....

I prefer Gokuls style of writing to balakumarans historic style I must say.....I do like Balas socila novels

Just my thoughts

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters